The Heirs, by Susan Rieger, starts as Rupert Falkes dies and leaves behind his widow, Eleanor, and their five boys. An unknown woman emerges after his death and claims Rupert was the father of her two sons and requests inheritance for them. Thus begins an endless display of characters that are difficult to keep track of and stories of adultery and secrecy. Each chapter is named for a person in the book and the story is told somewhat through the point of view of that person.
The book was long and I felt unattached to the characters. The story line bounced around and was hard to connect all of the dots. I had a hard time really getting into this book, and although toward the middle I did feel more engaged, a shift occurred and I felt distant again.
The idea behind the book sounds entertaining and could be easy for an audience to connect to, but that is lacking here.
I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.




0 comments:
Post a Comment