Sunday, September 15, 2013

prison plants.

The prison offers a horticulture class to offenders and when the class is over, the teacher allows employees to take home the plants. They have flowers, trees, everything you could dream to grow in your garden. I'm not there on dayshift to get any plants so a girl I work with told me she'd get some for me. I think I brought home six or eight total. I forget what they all were... pepper plants, a rubber plant, tomato plants, and a geranium.

This was in May. Nothing is still alive today. I don't know if it was too hot or too dry or too wet or too shady. I think my rubber plant was too wet. My geranium bloomed last week but has since died.

It's so sad.

This is an Instagram photo of my plants when I first brought them home. I used THIS sketch I found at Let's get Sketchy. 

supplies
die cuts: Sassafras (flowers); Dear Lizzy (frame); Pink Paislee (circles)
stamps: Prima (hex net); Studio Calico (July 2013 Molly kit)
ink: Tim Holtz distress ink (walnut stain)
wood veneer: Freckled Fawn
enamel dots: My Mind's Eye
stickers: American Crafts (leaf); Dear Lizzy (large label); My Mind's Eye (small label tab)
woodgrain star sequins: Studio Calico


13 comments:

Debbie P said...

Awesome take using the sketch! Love your layout! I cannot keep plants alive either. No green thumb here. Thanks so much for joining in with us at Let's Get Sketchy!

Lynn said...

I love the colors you chose and how you used the sketch for your project! Awesome layout. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Let's Get Sketchy!

Carla said...

great layout - such fun embellies! Thanks for playing at Let's Get Sketchy!

wendipooh13 said...

great colors and love your fun embellies!!!! thanks sooo much for playing along with LGS!!!!

Auntie Em said...

Great LO. I like the woodgrain paper and the green blossom.
It's nice they have a horticultural class for the offenders and they share the plants. Hopefully they take the experience home with them. Do they keep some there to watch them grow and enjoy the mature plant as well?

Elizabeth said...

How fun! I love your elements! Thanks for playing along with LGS!
e.

Brenshevia said...

Beautifully done, thanks for joining us at LGS!

Buffy Burnside said...

Fabulous take on the sketch! Thank you for joining us at Lets Get Sketchy!

Melissa Vining said...

I love your take on the sketch! Thanks for playing along at LGS!

LisaM said...

Fabulous take on the sketch!
Thanks for playing along with us at LGS!

Unknown said...

I embraced my black thumb a long time ago - LOL! Great take on the sketch. Love that you used an Instagram photo. Thanks for playing along with us at LGS!

Stacia Brandt said...

What a great take on the sketch !!! Thanks for playing along with LGS!!

Beeceecreativity said...

fun elements and great take on the LGS sketch